Thursday, March 15, 2007

Hand Held at Dawn


I had a scary dream last night. I don't remember how it happened, but in my dream I found my camera somehow completely filled with water and when I empied it gallons poured out of the lens mount. Funny as dreams go, the lens was totally dry, intact. I think I need a Psychologist to analyze this one!

This morning as I poured my first cup of Joe, I peered out the window to find a crescent moon rising over Lookout Mountain. Remembering my dream, I thought I should grab my Canon 5D and the new 70-200mm 2.8L IS USM lens I bought to make sure the dream was in fact--just a dream. So, I stood at the end of walk for these images. The camera was fine!
I thought I would post these as an illustration of what is possible with this gear regarding hand held images.

The camera settings are at their extremes: ISO-3200, f/2.8, 1/125 of a second. Still, the image isn't too bad and even at 1/125 of a second you can still see a few of the craters on the moon in the second image (click on the image to enlarge).